May 19, 2007

Digitial Divide: Rural America (and Canada) is Being Left off the I-Way

Being interested in drupal.org open source web development I went searching for grants 

for individuals and groups given out by CANADA this week.



The grant "application" is done in yup, you guessed it, Microsoft Excel. I could

not download it. I'll bet thousands more couldn't either. And there is a STRICT

deadline for application. Think I'll install Excel in time ...? Stay tuned.



The digital divide issue is one which needs no debate: we either have access or

we don't!!



I have been a *proud* part of the 32-bit Universe since 1994, when I got my first

Pentium processor and stuck it long enough with phone tech people to get myself

online and mouthing off. But i am disappointed as h*ll that more women, kidz,

natives and the disabled are considered "special interest" groups, NOT

required members of the WHOLE internet commmunity.



With that I give you ...



RURAL AMERICA IS BEING LEFT OFF THE INFORMATION SUPERHIGHWAY

By Steve Early, The Nation

Verizon's proposed plan of a $2.7 billion transfer of local

access lines to FairPoint Communications -- a small,

largely nonunion North Carolina firm -- is part of a

nationwide trend toward rural telecom redlining.



http://www.alternet.org/stories/51946/



i am going to get this story on Digg! You can go and digg my comments, if you like.

I'd appreciate that.





Technorati Tags: , , ,

No comments:

ShareThis