January 04, 2008

FUNDRAISING PITCH: Iraq Afghan Veteran's Association

Now, listen UP.

I am not one to preach - and I do practice what I preach (hey! That's novel!) .. but personally I only give my money to a couple things. One (don't gasp) is Greenpeace cuz I LIKE Them... Greenpeace does the wild things I cannot do but WOULD given a chance or if I were in better health.

I WOULDA given some money to Jason Call if I'd a had it .. and you know, that guy gave people their money back when he didn't pursue his Congressional bid, which just shows to go ya that I was right to be up on that guy.

In disaster scenario I get out my chops and ask people to donate to anything without a ex-presidential name on it and/or isn't the Red Cross or the Salvation Army.

But this time, if you have some spare change (and I do know some people who look at this blog once in a WHILE, do have a few pennies, I do RECOMMEND the expenditure of your money on the IAVA "cause" as the vets get screwed and will get screwed WORSE if they don't keep up the pressure in DC. They 've REALLY done well in my book at least - seizing opportunities as they come their way to get MAXIMUM PRESS and learning on key people in CONgress who shot off their mouths about prolonged occupation and so on.

So here is the email I just got from them .. and if you haven't got the buck$, or you have a place to put this appeal (I know, I know, you got appeals, too, it's that time of year) - do spread the WORD.

I think BuZh's veto of the budget could result in more harm to veterans. bit it is not a legal veto -- but of course we'll see about that.

In the meantime, to get the Veteran's Administration to be a bit more responsive (and IAVA's work helped get rid of the idiot at Walter Reed!) gove the guys and gals at IAVA some of your dough. They sure are good at giving ole BuZh, Cheney and the DoD a good black eye. It's not political, per se, but they do "my" cause of exposing the rot an awful lot of good.

You may feel that Vets are not being "drafted" . BUT that doesn't mean they deserve to suffer -- they do not go in KNOWING how awful this type of modern war.

It is incredible what they accomplish with so few dollars! Would it not be great to see a new GI bill? (And I abhor war. I really do.)

Veeger


Dear Virginia,

Thank youRight now, all of the attention is on Iowa. But this holiday season, people from all fifty states took action to make a real difference in the lives of Iraq and Afghanistan veterans.

In the final weeks of 2007, we asked you to support our work in 2008. Hundreds of you did and we smashed through our year-end goal, raising a total of $43,860. Americans like you are helping to do extraordinary things for veterans.

Your contributions will bring veterans to Washington to meet with leading lawmakers, fund the fight for a new G.I. Bill, and build a network to create real change at the local and national levels.

Your support matters. Every email sent to Congress, every letter to the editor, and every dollar makes a difference. Take a minute to watch our updated promo video, which features just a few of the things we accomplished in 2007. Then please help us spread the word by passing the video on to five of your friends.

Thank you for being involved, and Happy New Year.

Sincerely,

Paul

Paul Rieckhoff
Iraq Veteran
Executive Director
Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America

P.S. Thousands of people participated in Operation New Year's Eve - sending text messages of support for our troops that were displayed on the tallest billboard in New York's Times Square:

"Wishing a Happy New Year to SPC Daniel Webb and the 3ACR in Iraq. Thank you all for doing such a great job! Stay safe, Bubba. Love you the most!

- Proud Army Mom"

"Thank you so much for all that you do and the sacrifice you are making for all of us. You are so appreciated.

- Beverly in Nashville"


For a complete recap of this innovative campaign, including video of IAVA's appearances on CNN and FOX News, click here.


No comments:

ShareThis