January 31, 2008

This morning's press briefing .. the WH spins again

Nobody asked ole Tony about the Mukasey testimony .

Aren't you just SO surprised??

But this is interesting!!

Q One more on fundraising. The President is doing five events, I believe, in three days. Can you just speak to that a little bit? Does this sort of set the tone in terms of his political intentions in raising money?

MR. FRATTO: He's certainly committed to going out and raising money for the party and Republican candidates, and so you'll see him doing a lot of this. This will be I think a very successful trip in terms of raising money. The President has far more requests for fundraising stops than we can possibly fill, so I know we'll try to find ways to make it work with the President's schedule. But he is certainly committed to making sure that Republican candidates have the resources they need going into this very important election year.

Q Tony, why are all the fundraisers closed to the press?

MR. FRATTO: I'm sorry?

Q Why are all the fundraisers closed to the press?

MR. FRATTO: I think we have -- sometimes we have fundraisers that are open, some -- these are in private residences, I believe. Yes, private residences are closed, and -- I don't know. I don't actually -- never really knew the reason -- (laughter) -- but I'm happy with the practice. (Laughter.)

Q Why do you have all these Congress -- members of Congress on the plane with you on this ride?

MR. FRATTO: Why do we have members with us?

MR. JACKSON: They're House members. Several of them are going to their districts.

Q They're just hitching a ride, basically?

MR. JACKSON: They care about the President's trade agenda. (Laughter)

MR. FRATTO: He was asked why we have House members with us on the plane. I think that some of them will be -- they'll be attending these events, and they're home for the -- they'll be home for the weekend, right? Yes. So they'll be attending events in their home districts -- (inaudible) the events that the President is attending.

Q So just hitching a ride?

MR. FRATTO: No. I think they'll be participating. Yes, they're participating. Actually, one thing I forgot to mention at the top, Governor Schwarzenegger will be with us; as I think you all know, he'll meet us at the airport, and he'll participate both in the event at Robinson Helicopter and at the fundraiser. Okay?





No comments:

ShareThis