November 26, 2007

Impeachment and Individual Action: Laurie Dobson (crosspost)

Go and leave Laurie a note at her blogspot, if you have a mind to support her. I remember all too well Dick Gregory's fast. Were the rest of us this strong ...

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Impeachment Proclamation Post, Day Three, Nov. 25

HUNGER STRIKE FOR IMPEACHMENT THIRD DAY

"To be hopeful in bad times is not just foolishly romantic. It is based upon the fact that history is a history not only of cruelty, but also of compassion, sacrifice, courage, and kindness. And if we do act, in however small a way, we don't have to wait for some grand utopian future. The future is an infinite succession of presents; and to live now as we think human beings should live, in defiance of all that is bad around us, is itself, a marvelous victory!"

Howard Zinn

This is my favorite quote, apart from Lincoln and the Bible. Today marks the third day I am on a hunger strike to make it as plain as I can that there needs to be truth in action--that those
candidates hoping to be our future leaders will act with the needed courage and call for
impeachment with no equivocation and to demand that others running for leadership in our state do the same.

I have been striking and I will continue until such time as one of these candidates, of whatever
party, stands with me in the call to Tom Allen to begin impeachment proceedings in the House by signing onto HR 333. I call on you Tom Allen to declare that you will do this, as you are uniquely charged to show leadership and as you hope to demonstrate a convincing courage to be shown to be fit for running for the Senate. I believe that I live in times which will bring a better tomorrow, if citizens do more than they are now comfortable with, and stretch to a new level of commitment and courage. I not only believe it can be done, I am staking myself to this belief in my fellow candidates and my fellow citizens.

To be true to the service to which we are called, we have to call to each other to rise to the
utmost challenge of our day. If this was not so imperatively desperate a crisis, if we could
believe that the world would not see a renewed invasion and that genocidal practices would not
continue by our evil administration, then I would not be seeing my way so vividly clear, by making such an extreme statement. I see no other way, nor better way, to make this evident for all.

As Gandhi said, you must make the injustice visible. I'm no Gandhi; nevertheless I will do this.
I hope for prayers attention and support for this endeavor to wake my fellow candidates to do what their conscience impels them and to help to get these criminals out of office by exerting the most strenuous effort forward to urge Tom Allen to sign HR 333.

I am sorry to make this type of strike as I know it creates discomfort and difficulty. I
understand that it may not be the best way, but it is my only way at this time to truly do my part to change this picture of doom. It has to end. I pray this shall affect the critical shift in attitude; I pray that my example will help to produce the needed effect--that minds will turn to hear the heart--that hearts will heed the soul and that souls will be mindful of the justice of the world which would find its home here now.
Laurie Dobson

No comments:

ShareThis